London; The UK Capital

London; The UK Capital

Thanks to Raymond Carruthers - https://www.raymondcarruthers.com
I had a long weekend break in London in July this year (2018) with one of my best friends to visit her sister. We stayed from the Friday to the Monday, travelling by virgin train from New Cumnock to London Euston which was a pretty decent journey both ways. Fortunately, we were able to stay with my friend’s sisters in her flat so that saved us some money on accommodation… all the more to spend at the markets etc.

Our weekend was generally relaxed however we did manage to squeeze in a lot over the 4 days, including a day at Camden Marketa west end show, an art exhibition and a major tick on the bucket list; a day at Wimbledon!


Donut
Day at Wimbledon
After years of watching the tournament on TV and saying ever year to my TV screen that I would love to be there it was a must! We planned our trip for the Saturday but unfortunately were unable to purchase tickets beforehand. Of course, this didn’t stop us! We set our alarm for 6.30am on the Saturday morning (far too early for a holiday alarm) and made our way over to the grounds by the subway, a train and a 30-minute walk. Arriving around 8am we received our general admission ticket, I was number 6840 in the queue, and took our place in what would be a four-hour queue situated literally in the middle of a field. On the plus side it was a beautiful sunny day and the atmosphere was pretty great with the tennis going well and England getting set to play in the World Cup Quarter-finals later that day. TV News Crews were buzzing about interviewing people and Amazon were handing out free tennis themed donuts to advertise their prime channel showing the US Open.

For any tennis fan, I would highly recommend visiting Wimbledon. It’s a pretty surreal experience as you know it so well from watching it on TV but then for me I was amused by how I thought certain buildings would be situated differently from my TV perception. Our day was made by seeing Ostapenko win a match, witness the match between Vesely and Fognini, walk beside Del Potro as he made his way to court and seeing Judy Murray. This is definitely a place I will look to visit again, but my only recommendation would be to try and purchase a ticket in advance to safe time queuing.

A Show at the Savoy
A Show at the Savoy
We finished off our Saturday night with a visit to The Savoy Theatre for Dream Girls and Daiquiris. After an action packed day this was the perfect way to relax and spend our night and the show was fantastic; amazing performances from all the cast!


Orla Kiely Exhibition
Our Sunday started off with a trip to the Orla Kiely art exhibition that was in city. To be honest, I wasn’t not overly fussed about attending but agreed to go along anyway. I’m glad I did as I found a new love for the Orla Kiely designs. Her patterns are beautiful, especially some of her handbags and accessories.


Street Food, Bella Italia, Cocktails
Camden Markets
Camden Markets
Books from the market

After the exhibition, we spent the rest of the day at Camden Markets. The main highlight of the markets for us all was vast choice of food available; every corner you turn has streets filled with stalls giving off amazing smells, looking delicious and to top it off is reasonably priced. Aside from the food, the main purchase made by all were some classic books with stunning covers.

London is somewhere I would love to visit again for a weekend trip.


#Wimbledon #DreamGirls #SavoyTheatre #OrlaKiely #CamdenMarkets 
#PrettyBookCovers #StreetFood

The Stats
Accommodation; Stayed with my friend’s sister
Travel; Train from New Cumnock -> Carlisle -> London Euston
Length of trip; 4 days
Month of travel; July 
Est. Cost: £400
Who did I travel with: My best friend

Mexico is up next for Pin My Travels... look for the link to find out about our adventures! 😃

Comments

  1. Hi Margaret It looks as if you had an amazing time in London. I love London too - the shows and the buzz - reading this has made me start organising a trip down to London myself. If you are going back I would recommend a visit to Covent Garden - a fantastic place to see as there is so much happening - lovely shops, stalls with unique handcrafted gifts and street entertainers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sydney, Australia

Cancun; Mexico