Scotland; Home Is Where The Heart Is

Scotland; Home Is Where The Heart Is
So, I figured it made most sense to tell you a bit about my home country before I start blogging about the other countries and places I have travelled to. Scotland is such a beautiful country with lots of amazing places to visit, if only we had more consistent weather that would show these sights off and encourage people to travel around.


Ayrshire & Arran

Chinese Bridge, highland cow, family walk, maze
Dumfries House & Boswell House
Starting at my hometown Cumnock, Ayrshire offers some lovely countryside walks and places to have lunch or even just a catch up over tea and a cake. Two of the main areas I would recommend is Dumfries House and Boswell's Coach House which are surrounded by beautiful views, unique attractions such as maze gardens, Chinese bridge and various walks. I visit most weekends with friends to take advantage of them being right on my doorstep.

Arran sunset
"Lads fishing on Ayr pier, with the sun setting over Arran"
Thanks to  Raymond Caruthers - Flickr
As home of National Bard, Robert Burns, Ayrshire attracts a lot of tourists looking to explore his birthplace and the various local sites that explain the different chapters of his life. The Burns Museum situated in Alloway, Ayr is a perfect day out for all ages who are interested in learning a bit more about our National Poet. Weather permitting Ayr Beach is a great place to visit and is only a 7-minute drive from the Burns Museum. It’s popular with the locals in the good weather and for many years has been the destination of numerous bus trips from all over Scotland; attracted by some of the events held there such as the Scottish International Airshow and a variety of Pipe Band Championships.

Ayrshire has a number of castles to visit and is a perfect location to visit if you are a golfer, offering “more than it’s fair share of big time, championship golf courses."

Loch Lomond & The Trossachs

Dawn at Loch Ard, Trossachs & Queen Elizabeth Forest
Thanks to Raymond 
Carruthers

A stunning place that will always be close to my heart. This was the place of my family’s annual summer holiday for at least a decade. My grandparents had an apartment in the MacDonald Forest Hills Resort located on the shores of Loch Ard and surrounded by views of Queen Elizabeth Forest, where we all travelled to spend a few weeks together and much to my delight we even got to take the dogs!

I spent most of my days with my cousins exploring the outdoors, the trail walks through the surrounding forest, playing the outdoor activities or in the swimming pool or one my favourites - playing down by the loch and going out on the rowing boat. 


Top Left to Right: Forest Hills Resort, Cousins on the Sir Walter Scott Steamship
Bottom Left to Right: Loch Katrine, Family Rowing on Loch Ard

We had days out of the resort where we visited the nearby towns Aberfoyle and Callander. I always remember visiting, “The Scottish Wool Centre”, in Aberfoyle as there was always something going on around here including animal shows with sheep dogs, ducks, miniature horses and birds of prey. On a recent trip to Aberfoyle I visited the newly built Go Ape – Outdoor Adventure Park. It’s a fun day out but as it’s a tree-top adventure it’s definitely not for anyone scared of heights!  My memories of Callander include lots of lovely gift shops. We also visited Loch Katrine where we enjoyed a sail on the small historic steamship Sir Walter Scott.


Ben Nevis & Fort William


Ben Nevis
At the age of fifteen, I conquered Ben Nevis and what an experience that was! Situated in the North West Highlands near Fort William, this is Scotland’s tallest peak. We climbed it in the middle of summer and I can still remember how cold it was as we reached the top – thank goodness for the emergency shelter. I would love to do it again though, the views are unreal – the pictures don’t do it justice.


Thanks to 96Tommy - Flickr
Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0) 
I would definitely recommend this as a place to visit and there are many more sights to explore in Fort William including a must for all Harry Potter fans, a journey on the iconic Jacobite Steam Train featured in the Harry Potter films. The train departs from Fort William and travels over the magnificent Glenfinnan Viaduct. 


#Myhome #Cumnock #DumfriesHouse #BoswellHouse #RobertBurns #Ayr #AyrBeach #Alloway #ScottishCastles #ChampionshipGolf #TheTrossachs #LochArd #LochKatrine #ForestHill #QueenElizabethForest #SirWalterScott #Steamship #Aberfoyle #Callander #GoApeAberfoyle #BenNevis #FortWilliam #HarryPotter #JacobiteSteamTrain #GlenfinnanViaduct


Find out about my visit to Toronto, Canada in my next post... look out for the next link! 😁

Comments

  1. Excellent photographs of the Trossachs; sounds like a fantastic place for a getaway in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sydney, Australia

Cancun; Mexico

London; The UK Capital